Hi all, I'm Emily Stone, a SAHM, proud wife, runner, fitness freak, health food addict, and animal lover! I have my own blog in the works, but in the meantime, Melissa has been wonderful enough to let me write a post for her amazing blog. Today, I'd like to share with you some of my favorite tips on how to find time in your busy day for eating right and being active! If you have any questions feel free to email me!
Busy Day Hacks – A Post from Emily
Stone
You’ve seen her. She’s the mom at the playground or the school parking lot. She looks so put together, and she’s in great shape. How does she do it, when I can barely get the kids there in time? I bet she’s not spending hours at the gym. And as much as I’d like to convince myself that she has a live-in cook who prepares delicious, healthy meals for her every day, I imagine that’s not really the case. The fact is that there are lots of things we moms can do to stay fit and healthy, without wasting a lot of our precious time or breaking the bank. If we do some research and prepare, it can actually be easy and maybe even fun.
Diet
I think I’ve done a good job mastering the art of the easy diet. I vary my approach based on the time I have, which depends a lot on the season and the days of the week. Early in the week, when I’ve got to get the kids ready for school and there is no time to eat, I grab a drink and go. Smoothies are really easy to make. I can puree and freeze fruit and vegetables ahead of time, then pop them in the blender and I’m done. If I want a big boost of protein or other nutrients, I’ll go for a protein shake like Shakeology.
When it comes to meals, planning ahead is crucial. I have a routine set for it now. On Saturday morning, I plan the meals for the next week. In the afternoon, I do my shopping. In the evening, if I have a little time, I might chop some vegetables or prepare a marinade. Then on Sunday, I make meals for the week. Sometimes it’s as simple as getting a dish ready to throw in the oven on the day I want to eat it. Other times, I will make the entrĂ©e on Sunday and then just reheat and serve on Monday or Tuesday. I thought I wouldn’t like eating what feels like leftovers. But many dishes (soups, casseroles) reheat perfectly well. And having several dishes in the fridge to choose from gives me variety when it comes to lunch, as well. Usually once a month I’ll check out the Food Network for new recipes that are quick and easy.
Exercise
I cringe when I imagine all the time I spent at the gym when I was young and single. I slaved away for an hour on a treadmill when I could have been done in less than half an hour. With two kids, I simply do not have the time. But I can still get a great workout. These days, I love to do interval training. The concept itself is simple. Work one muscle group until you’re about ready to quit, then switch to another. Shaun T., the creator of the Insanity workouts, has a great interval workout called T25. It’s an intense, focused workout in only 25 minutes, which means it’s easy to fit into naptimes and morning routines. But there’s so many available options, I can tailor my workout to fit my day. If I have more time in the morning, say on the weekend, I might go for a longer run. When I’ve got just a few minutes, with interval training I can still get my heart pumped and exercise my muscles.
Everybody’s busy, even that perfect mom I always see. The trick to staying healthy even when my schedule is totally crazy is in planning it out and maximizing my time. That way, I feel fitter, but I also feel productive and efficient.
No comments:
Post a Comment