Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Defeated

Doctor said three months no running, squats, or lunges... so no marathon.


To say I am feeling defeated is an understatement. I am probably depressed.


I was looking for inspiration online and found this on Pinterest:lessons from a running injury graphic

I went and checked out her website and love her blog, if you haven't been by yet, you should http://olivetorun.com/


I am going to take my drugs they gave me and take this as an opportunity to:

1. Lose weight without being RUNgry

2. Build muscle - I cant to leg work with weight on my knees bent, but I can still do leg work I just have to get creative!

3. Find other forms of cardio: walking, elliptical, spin, kickboxing (just upper body on the bag), and swimming

4. Work on my core strength

5. Stretch


I may be down, but I don't have to be out. I may be depressed, but if I keep working out those endorphins have to kick in eventually.

I may not be able to get a runners high, but maybe I can discover a lifters high?

New PR's in running are not coming anytime soon, but maybe I can lift heavier than before, do more pushups than before, hold a plank longer than I have before.


6 comments:

  1. Awwwwww!!! I'm so sorry Melissa!! Way to go looking on the bright side, because there are many positives to taking a rest from running. There's always going to be more marathons, and your Number ! (Rungry? You need to patent that) is the bigest positive! I'm looking forward to that one myself! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cori from Olive to Run! She is one of my favorite blogs! I would reach out to her or even Hungry Runner Girl because they both have been injured and couldn't participate in their half/full marathons!
    I'm so sorry to hear about your news. I can't even imagine what you feel like. I think defeated is a good word because I think that is exactly how I would feel. I love the positive attitude you are showing. You need to stay positive or this will be a terrible experience for you! You can definitely come back stronger from this! YOU WILL RUN A MARATHON and when you cross that finish line it will be amazing! Good luck to you and lots and lots of healing wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry!!! But I bet you would be surprised how lifting will give you a pump of positivity and 'high' as well! You can't help but flex and pose afterwards and look in the mirror and remark 'hey, I got this!' to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that is terrible. Keep up your strength and cardio fitness (swimming/walking/cycling) and you will be stronger than ever when you get back - and faster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! I know how hard you have been working to reach this goal! I will give you a positive though- I haven't ran in over 3 weeks..only been doing HIIT and weight lifting and I am losing more than I ever did running. Take it as an opportunity to try something different and I know you will get back in the running groove when you can and KILL that marathon! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Thanks for linking to my blog and adding in my list. Injuries are NEVER an easy thing to get through but I will say if you cross train properly and try to stay active during the time off from running your efforts will definitely pay off! I was able to get back to running a lot quicker than I thought I was going to be able to.

    Sending quick healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete