21 years ago today I lost my daddy.... he went out jogging one night and never came back home.
21 years ago today I pretended to be asleep when he came by to say goodnight and I love you and I laid there in the dark and heard him say it, but kept quiet and watched him leave to go run, not knowing I would never get to hear his voice ever again or ever get the chance to say those words to him another time. BIGGEST regret of my entire life thus far - in all my (almost) 30 years it happened when I was 8 (almost 9).
I truly believe he was too good for this world and that's why he was taken so young. He was only 38. He had a wife, a 1 year old, a 4 year old, and an 8 year old. He was loved by all who knew him/met him. My mom even asked people to write us letters about him (mainly I think for my brother and sister who were so young that they didn't get to know the man I knew). He was a man who would take a day of vacation from work to spend all day in the yard building a surprise swing set for his kids, he is the man who came back from a business trip with a HUGE stuffed animal puppy for his baby girl who was sick while he was away. I honestly don't think anyone could ever say anything negative about him.
He is missed, greatly, but I also know he is in a better place and I will get to see him again someday and I know he is watching over me every day. He will always have a big piece of my heart.
I miss him like crazy... and while I thought this injury may have me not ever running a marathon today reminded me that I need to do what I set out to do. I want to raise money for the American Heart Association so that other little girls get to keep their daddies around for a lot longer than I got to keep mine, so they have their daddy to walk them down the aisle, to meet their kids, and to spend more time with them.





So sorry that you lost your dad so young! I think it's so neat that you are doing something to honor him though.
ReplyDeleteMy heat breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry you had to experience that at such a young age. I am sure marathon or not he would be very proud of you! Lots of hugs sent your way today!
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and sending you hugs.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your father was an amazing man! This made me tear up, because I feel like there are so many people out there who don't know what it is like to have a real father. You are blessed to know that feeling, even if for a little while. I can't imagine the hurt you must feel, but I am thinking and praying for you. I know your Dad is looking down and very proud of you for everything you have done and continue to do! :) *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI've got big crocodile tears running down my face. As a father less child I can empathize with your loss. I'm so sorry Melissa. You will run that marathon in your Dad's name one day! Hugs and Love!
ReplyDelete