Monday, January 6, 2014

Marathon Training Update: Knee Injury

This weekend we took my friends two girls to the property and they both got deer, within two hours of hitting the stands too! It was very efficient!
 
 
 
 
Then we went to Fredericksburg and got to see my zebras at the high fenced ranch there!

 
 
 
Sunday was supposed to be my long run because Saturday was so busy. I started out and the hubs joined me! I was soooo excited about that it added a little pep to my step. He ran the first 1.5 miles with me... and I decided to try to run without walk intervals for the first few miles. My knee was still killing me, but I was trying to power through the pain.
 

 
I kept pushing myself to the next mile saying the pain will eventually go away if I just ignore it, but it didn't. I even started adding walk intervals to see if that would help - nothing. I felt defeated. sad. upset with myself. Why did I get injured? Why so close to the marathon? Its in less than a month!?! I only got in 6 miles. I was not happy... and I posted my thoughts on IG with a pic of my run:
 
 
and I got some incredible encouragement and feedback from you guys and I really appreciate it... I needed it. I was defeated, but you know what? Last January I hadn't even run 6 miles - its amazing how far I have come in a year that now I am sad I could ONLY run 6 miles when this time last year I was struggling to run less than that. I am sad I didn't get in my long run, but I am improving and I have to focus on that...
 
 

 
 
I have truly fallen in love with running, its really crazy for me to say that because I ALWAYS hated running... but once I started challenging myself and pushing myself and doing things I NEVER thought I would be able to do I have grown to LOVE running... it may be an acquired taste, but its my favorite now!

 
 



My hubs has had a lot of knee issues (being an offensive lineman in college he has had his share of surgeries) and he thinks I have a torn meniscus ( its always hurting me and it clicks every time I take a step up the stairs).... he said I wont make it worse running on it, but it wont get better either. I am going to see a doctor as soon as I can, but I am going to try to keep running - I know I wont get in more than that 15 miler length wise before the marathon, but I will finish that marathon if I have to crawl across the finish line. My knee can rest and heal after the race. I have been training for too long to not finish it now!

4 comments:

  1. Awwww!!! Heartbreaking! I'd get to a doctor ASAP. Could be good news and a simple fix, you never know! Hope you start feeling better stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon!! I agree, get to a doctor or physical therapist to see if they can help and get you back training!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you only the BEST! I hope your knee heals quickly and you still get to run that marathon like the boss you are!
    Loved all the quotes you posted!!!!'
    YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hold up, you guys got those deer within 2 hours? Girlfriend, I know tons of friends who would be so mad at your right now, ha ha! My brother was SOL the other week after 4-5 hours. Also, I am glad you received encouragement for your injury, I know that can be hard, but if you do not let it heal, you are going to be so much worse. You have come so far - the world is yours baby! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete