Dear 21 year old self,
I know you feel like your world just fell apart (I had just
ended things with my college sweatheart and fiancé), but this was THE best
decision you have made to date! Cheer up!! Don't waste your time for a month after the breakup hanging out with him and trying to fix things- they cant be fixed- you cant fix him... you don't need a project, you need a man who is ready for you and good for you! In a month you will see him in the parking lot with another girl first thing in the morning and it will be what finally makes you drop him completely. I wish you had before that, but it happens finally at least.
You will lose the unhappy relationship
weight you gained pretty quickly because you start running and you aren’t eating
because you are miserable. You are going to spend the next summer trying to
drink away the world, partying like a rock star. This is NOT a bad thing, it’s
ok to let loose and have fun and get the crazy partying out of your system
while you are still young – it helps prevent mid life crisis later!
Your life
WILL go on, and it just gets better from here, the sky is the LIMIT for you!!!
That loser was holding you back from your potential! You deserve and get so
much better than that, and he makes you happy, and makes you want to be the
best version of yourself you can be… you even lose weight while with him!
This next year is going to be scary and crazy- but life changing at the same time.. you will go to summer school this summer, and somehow pass physics while drinking ALOT.... but then in the fall you will be burnt out on school and broke and take a semester off to work - you mainly also want to get away from your ex - since he lives in the same apartment complex and just across the parking lot. You use this time away to make money and heal... you don't think it will be possible to move on but you do!
When you go back to LSU in the spring you change your major to petroleum engineering (what you always wanted to do) and you will LOVE it, you will thrive and realize you were dumb for starting in chemical! You will make great new friends and keep some of the old friends, but you will have a great rest of college... and an amazing life after that!
Love,
Your 29 year old self!!
...as I write this, the crazy thing is my 21 year old sister is going through a tough breakup right now and I realize this could totally apply to her, she sometimes reads this blog - I think at least- but I am going to ask her to read today for sure, I know she could use it! Hindsight is 20/20!!!






What a great post! I wish we really could have given ourselves advice that things would work out in tough times. I'm glad you decided to make changes and follow what you've always wanted to do! Good luck to your sister!
ReplyDeleteHindsight really is 20/20 on so many things. Great letter!
ReplyDeleteLoved the note at the end about your little sister! DUMPPPPPP HIMMMMM. :)
ReplyDeleteThis was a cool post!!!
ReplyDelete