Thursday, October 17, 2013

Nola Jazz Half Marathon Update Part 2

My amazing husband got my finish on video!!!! I LOVE this because it shows the whole range of emotions one goes through when conquering something that was hard...
 
"I cant believe I am going to do this... YES I did this... ok I can die now"
 
Keep in mind I couldn't hear the crowd or the music, because in my headphones Katy Perry's "Roar" was playing... I was jamming out... and this is what I look like when I ROAR:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I finished my first half marathon, and I did better than I was expecting!!!! I finished in less than 3 hours- after going back and forth on what I wanted to do, I ended up deciding to just have the goal of crossing the finish line... because its my first and I HAD been thinking of a goal of under 3 hours, but I didn't want to have any cringe of disappointment if I didn't make that time, especially with my long training runs coming in at a 13+ min/mile... so my goal was to finish, but I enjoy pushing myself, so secretly I did want that sub 3 hour half- and I GOT IT! I was BEYOND proud of myself. There are very few times in my life I have been that proud of myself... its an amazing feeling, if you haven't challenged yourself physically- DO IT! You will love the results when you achieve what you set out to do, especially if you never thought that possible.
 
 
This is my favorite picture from the day... love him!!

 
SOOO HAPPY!!!

 
 
I even ran into the lady I was running with for a while and got to congratulate her for finishing as well... I am trying to talk her into running the Rock and Roll Marathon with me.... this was her third half.
 
And as we were about to leave, I glance through the oaks... and see a familiar face, Leigh Ann! I am so glad I ran into this lady I cant even tell you, this is the second race we have both been at, but I missed her at the 10k earlier this year, so I was glad to finally get to meet her! I had seen Mr Noel three times along the route... it was hard to miss him with the GREAT shirt he had: "I don't do marathons, I only do marathoners" - I definitely ordered that for Mr Folz so he could wear it in February for my full! I can honestly say this girl is just as energetic and optimistic in person as she seems on her blog!! Despite the 80 degree temps and the 70something% humidity, she ROCKED this race and did amazing! And was super upbeat and encouraging about my success as well!

 
She claims I need a redemption half (with better weather)- so I MAY try to find one between now and my full in February, but we will see....
 
 
 My pace breakdown... its pretty obvious the middle was rough for me, but in the end those last 3 miles I kept thinking of my dad and how he cant run anymore and how this race was part of my training for my full in February to raise money for the American Heart Association... and I know I can do this for him and it really helped me through... that and Katy Perry for the last half a mile!

The calories I burned in my first half (I then spent the rest of the day trying to eat them back- Louisiana food will do that to you!!!)



Quite a few ladies ran half's this weekend and Karri posted this on her IG- someone had this sign up at her run and I had to share too... that makes you feel just a little bit more bad ass!!!

 
 
After the run, we went to watch LSU beat Florida! We were running late because the game was at 2:30 so we had to park about 2 miles away from the stadium, so I got in another 4 or so miles of walking that afternoon/night, but I think that helped me stretch out and not stiffen up!
 
 


All in all it was an amazing weekend I will never forget!
 

3 comments:

  1. Love the video!! That's awesome. I think my favorite part of the whole post was "I cant believe I am going to do this... YES I did this... ok I can die now" LOL Perfect description! I still don't know how you climbed those stairs at Tiger Stadium after all that - Beastmode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Be proud :) You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa....I know exactly what you are talking about....when you run your first half, the feeling crossing that finish line is amazing! I was all tears when I was crossing the end....it is such a magical moment!
    Congrats again!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete