Monday, April 8, 2013

Weekend Update: First Trail Run and a 50 Mile Bike Ride

Friday I spent the day relaxing with my babies... after I got in a great workout that morning:
45 min on the bag kickboxing
Jillian's 30 day shred week 1
Jillian's ripped in 30 week 1
total cals 1,000!
 
got in some good snuggle time with my two boys
 
 
 
and girlie tv with my girls

 
Max wants to be like his big sissy

 
Max was sleeping in my lap ..

 
then his big brother came to nap with him and relax

 
Max and Maddie hanging out

 
Max laying on Maddie to play with Hank's tail

 
 
Friday night I went to a friends for wine night, and I took ZERO pics, I know, horrible blogger right here... it was fun, and I love getting to try new wines! We have them from time to time and they are themed by location, this wine night was Texas wines, I brought my Grape Creek Merlot and got to try a few other good Texas wines that I will be adding to my rotations in the hill country! :)
 
 
Saturday morning I got in Jillian's 30 day shred week 1 again AND it was my first trail run, I signed up for the 5k, and I am glad I did... it was hot, and the trails were sandy in parts and lots of roots to try and trip you in others, as well as good hills which are super exhausting while running... there was a girl who was ahead of me for most of the race, and I thought to myself the whole time, I am in better looking shape than her, she CAN NOT beat me!!! So I passed her twice and then she passed me again, but in the end, with about 3/4 of a mile left I passed her a third time and never saw her again... I didnt stop to walk, but it was a slower race for me because of the trails, I ALMOST face planted twice, but kept my forward running momentum going and didnt fall...
 
I finished early enough to get a picture of Lauren crossing the finish line:
 
 
my Runkeeper time... official time was similar 39:50

 
me and my girls after finishing, Christina did the 10k trail race and PR'd it in under an hour, I was so excited for her! AND this was Lauren's first 5k to complete, with it being my first trail run it was a day of PR's for us ladies! :)

 
I should have gotten a close up of the medal, it was awesome with a crawfish on it and all!!

 
and the race finished with a pound of crawfish and a beer, a pound of crawfish to a cajun is a tease, a mean mean tease!!!! but it was yummy!
 
 
that night I went to my friend Christy's house after the race and we did a low key dinner in which I could wear sweats, it was wonderful!  And again I failed at the pictures!
 
 
Sunday morning came early at 6am to get up and drive an hour for my last MS 150 training ride, the Gran Fondo ride- we had planned to do the 70 mile route, but my friend was running late, and it was SUPER windy so we did the 50 mile route.
 
 
The start kicked off at 7:30am- its a little hard to see, but there are bikers lined up in droves on the horizon in this pic...
 
 
registration and packet pick up

 
pre-race pic

 
at the turn around there was a field of Bluebonnets... so we took pics! GEAUX TIGERS!

 
Suzy and me with the bluebonnets!

 
There was some form of music at each rest stop, and those were every 10-15 miles along the route...

 
 
we finished at the Houston Oaks Country club and it was set up so nicely, I thought it was set up for a wedding, but it was for US! We got burritos and devored them quickly... we were hungry- total bike time 3 1/2 hours, total time since arrival 5 hours- we took our time at the rest stops and I got there about 45 min before Suzy which added to my time as well... total calories 3000!!!! according to my Polar!

 
The wind was BAD, super strong and not fun, the hills and elevation climb were rough, but not horrible- the toughest thing was fighting the wind!
 
Runkeeper said it was my best elevation climb to date!
 
 
 
after the race I went home got in an ice bath for my legs and took a nap, after I woke up, this little guy wanted a nap himself... who can say no to that???
 
 
 
Hope everyone else had a fabulous weekend as well!

4 comments:

  1. So proud of your accomplishments! You are so inspiring Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an action-packed weekend! How did you get into cycling? It looks like fun, but I am terrified of being ran over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Great workout weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock girl!
    I think a trail fun would be so much fun!
    You definitely had an active weekend!
    WHOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete