Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Weekend and Crescent City Classic 10K PR Update

I wanted to share some pictures from our visit to the trampoline park from last Monday too, some of them came out really good.. my sister is really good at posing for these, I was struggling, LOL
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
Friday morning we drove down and hung out with everyone, my sister and I went for a 3 mile run/walk out to the lake to watch the boats and then went to a burger place called "Juicy Lucy" with my friend Tara and her bf, they have stuffed burgers, and I was trying to be good, so I got a bunless stuffed turkey burger (it was stuff with cheese and BBQ sauce) and sweet potato fries (had to carbo load for the 10k) - the burger was ok- I havent had a turkey burger in forever and personally prefer venison when it comes to healthy burgers, but oh well, next time I am going all out with the beef there, the "burger of the day" was stuffed with mac and cheese- next time its on! :)
 
 
Saturday morning was the Crescent City Classic and my second 10k, so I did the same thing I did the morning of my last 10K - 1 egg, 1 egg white, and a banana, and off to the race we went, my sister brought her bike so she could bike along with us- she wasnt prepared to run a 10k but still wanted to come, and she figured she could get pics this way, it was kind of fun having to keep an eye out for her and having paparatzi following me around the whole run...
 
My cousin and I started the race together, he was in group E and I was group F, but we ended up lining up at the end of group D- still not sure if that was the best idea, but we did it anyway... then we didnt start til 15 min late... my HR was already 125 bpm because I was so nervous/excited! (my resting is usually around 70)
 
we stayed together for the first 5-10 minutes, but we were running at a 7-8 min mile pace and I couldnt keep that up, so I slowed down and let him go on ahead of me... he wanted a 10 min mile finish and I wanted to beat my 10k time of 1:12:50something, but I knew that was too fast, guess thats what we get for starting with a faster group!
 
 
yea thats me heel striking like a beast, I really need to work on that!

 
my sister pretty much stayed with me the whole race, off and on, she had trouble keeping up because the sidewalks were crazy busy and there were over 17,000 people running this thing...

 
in this picture I am pointing out the girl dressed like the energizer bunny, she was with a group ahead of me, but I caught up with her and stayed with her most of the race, I felt pretty good that I was running the same pace as the energizer bunny girl!

 
more heel striking... haha

 
I am almost at the finish, I wanted to DIE, I had been going strong around a 10 min mile pace the first 3 miles and then at mile 3 I got a cramp in my right butt/hip/upper thigh that did NOT go away the rest of the race, my knee was doing great, but this cramp was KILLING me... I wanted to give up and walk so many times that last mile, but I didnt because I knew I was on pace to PR this bad boy, 3 weeks after my first 10k and I wanted it SO bad, my Iphone music was on lame songs, my power songs never really came this run, but about 5.5 miles in there was a band playing "Eye of the Tiger" not only does this song make me think of LSU, its also known for the Rocky movies... it was JUST what I needed to power through... there was no sprint/running quickly at the end of this race for me, but I did pick up my pace a bit to finish, and I PR'd!!!!!
 
 
SUPER crowded at the finish line! but its BEHIND me!!!
 
 
my Runkeeper had me at 6.45, not sure why, but my cousins Map My Run app said 6.47 on his too... I still cant believe I shaved 3 mins off in 3 weeks, and I wasnt really run training that hard either!!! 

 
me and my cousin with our finisher medals

 
my bro came out to the finish... and my sister/paparatzi with her bike!

 
my official results! I finished in the top third of all the women that ran! pretty proud of that! loved this race and cant wait to do it again next year!

 
 
After the race it was back to my Aunts for Easter celebration - in S La, this means crawfish boil! :)
 
My cousins friends came to help cook and eat the crawfish!
 
 
girls cousin pic
 
 
eatin crawfish


 
 
sisters pic, we did NOT coordinate outfits, great minds just think alike! :)

 
more food....

 
 
March 31 is my cousins birthday, so we had cake.... and her fav food is crawfish, so they were on the cake... it was REALLY good!
 
 
 
then my bro sis and I decided it would be fun to be tourists in the city I was born and raised, so we took the ferry to the West bank and back, and got great pics of downtown and the bridge..


 
 
this pic was taken right before my brother was kicked off the ferry, apparantly they frown on standing on the rail, lol... no Titanic moments allowed..
 
 
and since they made me run by Cafe Du Monde during the 10k....


We went and indulged, yes beignets are technically fried bread, but it was Easter Eve... and they smelled SO good earlier!!!!



 
 

then Sunday we drove back, went to church with my mom in laffy and headed back to Texas, Max enjoyed napping on his uncle most of the trip back..

 

4 comments:

  1. Greta job! I'm so sad we didn't get to meet up! I thought that last mile was o hard because it was so dang hot! This was probably the most crowded race I've run, even compared to the Marathon. Your ap marked longer than 6.2 because these long races are measured on the tangents ie the shortest distance between two points so unless you hug the curb and curves you're actually running a longer distance. Factoid of the day ;) Love the Easter pics! Happy Mondya lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!!! Congrats on the PR and I LOVE that tank top :) I would have went by Cafe Du Mond too, in fact I can't guarantee I would haven't stopped mid-race and had one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the race! You're awesome! Looks like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome race!! You rocked it girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete